Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Creep with Weed in his Pocket...And More


I was so excited when I thought up this post. Mainly because the experience was hilarious. (Disclaimer: I am not the guy with weed in his pocket.)

     Several nights ago, (I think it was last Saturday) some friends and I went out for drinks. We met in Puerta del Sol and had to wait on another guy to show up because he was bringing a friend. When he showed up, his friend was in his late 30s. Awkward. But you know, we gave him a chance. He was a Spaniard, so maybe it's normal for them to go out on the town with people half their age? (It's not.) The bar was nice, and really full, but we all had a good time talking in our little segmented groups. Until creepy old guy showed up again. He basically started talking to me from across the room, so I had to lean across a bunch of other people just to hear what he was saying.
     He kept talking about how we were such good friends--keep in mind that by this point I hadn't even spoken to him, other than telling him my name--and so I smiled goodnaturedly. So here we are, leaning back and forth as he stops and starts the conversation, when he leans in one last time...
     "Do you smoke-a weed?" (With accompanying hand gesture.) No. I do not.

     So he walked away. Only to return 20 minutes later and creep me out again. I don't like random people touching me, and he just kept his hand on my shoulder. I was very uncomfortable. And I wasn't the only one...the entire group had similar experiences with the 40-year-old creep. I'm just hoping he doesn't wind up in my group again.

     This was also the night that I decided to take the bus home (the trains stop running around 1:00 a.m.). First, I had to find where my bus stop was, which took about 30 minutes. Then I get on the bus, and get off WAY too early! I realized -- once the bus drove away -- that I was 2 metro stops away from my apartment. So, in the middle of the night, alone, I started walking. And walking. Part of me was freaking out, but I forced myself to stay calm and walk until I found something that looked familiar. It's still strange because I kept thinking, "Oh. I'll just pull out my phone and see where I am." Except there's no Google Maps on a flip phone. Whoops. I walked for twenty or thirty minutes, and then FINALLY made it back to my apartment, safe and sound. I consider it one of those must-have study abroad experiences. I can check that off the list!

On Sunday, I took a day trip to Toledo. By train, it's about 30 minutes west of Madrid. And what a change in 30 minutes. Very quickly, the train leaves the city and suburbs behind, and you're suddenly rolling through the countryside. In no time, we (me and 3 friends) were stepping off the train in Toledo. The original capital of Spain, Toledo has a very antiquated, old-timey feel to it (sort of like how I picture rural Italy.) that was a welcome contrast to Madrid. And wow. What a cathedral! (I feel like I say this about EVERY church I go into here, but they're all just so incredible.) It was gigantic, with sculptures and paintings everywhere. There was even a massive scene carved into one of the towers! Absolutely insane.
 The train station
 The famous McDonald's of Toledo. (It's the only one in town. Also, they have POTATO WEDGES!)
 Outside the cathedral



A close up of the above photo. The level of detail is incredible.


Seriously. Coca-Cola is EVERYWHERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment