Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chance Encounters

In the past week, I've run in to a lot people who are currently studying abroad. (No, I'm not in Europe; they're studying here in Fayetteville.) And they have some interesting things to tell. 

So I listened. And now I'm trying to incorporate what they've said into what I consider my preconceived notions about living/studying abroad for a year. 
1) American TV/Movies are the best. Much better than their foreign counterparts. (This is from Ratsiba, a French exchange student. She rattled off shows she liked and talked about how much she loved all the U.S. made stuff.) CSI, 24, Two and a Half Men, and Family Guy are all big hits. Ratsiba didn't talk as much about American film, but she seemed like she loved it too. (C'mon everybody, let's stand up and sing "I'm Proud to be an American." We're still the best at something!)

2) The education system is completely different here. (This comes from Jin of South Korea, studying business here.) In South Korea, they typically only have two grades--essentially a midterm and a final. There's not really any graded homework, or quizzes, or checks for understanding. I'm told they have the same system at UC3M, where I'll be studying. Two chances, and that's it. Not quite as cushy as in the USA, is it? Maybe they expect their kids to be independent... (Let's not get into how I feel about babying your children.)

And finally, this one is a biggie.
3) Language goes quickly. This is sort of second-hand information, but I assume it's accurate. One of my friends works at the Heifer Ranch in Perryville (Google it if you need to.), and one of her coworkers is from Germany. He's been keeping a blog, and writing in German for a month or two now. But because he's been immersed in English (and unable to find anyone to speak with in German) he's about to give up on bloging in German and just switch to English because it's so easy for him to think in English now. So remember that bit about translating all the Spanish that creeps into the blog? Well, don't hate me if it turns out to be an outright lie.

Seriously though. I really hope I don't forget English. Then I'll have to be the guy that says "Excuse my grammar. My English not is very good."

No comments:

Post a Comment