Saturday, January 14, 2012

I'm still a tourist...

Despite my best efforts to avoid this situation, I still stick out. I don't understand. I've got my scarf tied around my neck, I'm looking nice, and yet people still automatically try to talk to me in English. Even if they don't hear Jeff (my roommate) and I speaking English first. We've gotten a lot of dirty looks from people; it's almost like they don't want us here. 

The past few days have been pretty expensive...probably because I'm still thinking like a tourist. I went out for tapas (which should normally be pretty cheap) and sangrĂ­a, and it
cost me 25 Euro. Ridiculous. But all in all, it's been a really nice time so far. The food is good, my hostal hosts are really nice and helpful, so there's not much I can complain about.

At the end of day two, lots of stuff has happened. I arrived around 10:30 yesterday morning (3:30 a.m. for you back home), and a woman picked Jeff and I up from the airport. (Don't worry. We knew her. All's well.) She took us back to her apartment--which was crazy nice, by the way--to drop off our luggage, then she took us to go get phones. Thank goodness for Beatriz, because without her we would have been lost. She talked to the employees at three different phone stores to find the best plan for us, and we understood none of it. Looks like I've got a lot of language yet to learn! My phone here is super cheap. I went from having a smartphone (a DroidX, to be specific) to having what you see here:

That's right. A flip phone. It only has calls and texts, which is all I really need, but it's a huge difference from what I have used back home. When you close it, it looks even cheaper. But whatever. I don't need a smartphone to talk to people. I'll make do. :)


Speaking of language, the lisp in Castillian Spanish is really throwing me off. I'm used to hearing something like cerdo, not therdo. So I've got some adjusting to do.

We haven't made much progress on the whole where-to-live debacle, but I think tomorrow is blocked out for that. We've just got to call some of the owners of the apartments that look interesting and find out a little more.

2 comments:

  1. I had to Google a few terms, but enjoyed the stories.

    And yes, sounds like you got seriously ripped off at the snack shack. I'm sure things will get better!

    ReplyDelete