Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Packing to Remember

I leave in just over a week. And I don't really know what I'm doing--I mean, I don't have a place to live, (currently) don't have a place to stay while I look for a place to live, and I have no idea how to pack for five months of life. The last five months of my life barely fit in a car, much less a suitcase that has to weigh less than fifty pounds (I REFUSE to pay for more than I have to. The plane ticket was expensive enough.)

So, instead of packing practically, I'm packing to remember. Remember what, you ask? As much as possible.
I know this is going to be an incredible journey, and I don't want to forget any of those things that are going to change how I think, how I look at the world, how I interact with people, etc. Basically I don't want to forget the things that have some effect on me, profound or minuscule. And I don't just mean the things that happen in Spain. The way I look at it, I'm going to have two different lives for the next few months. Just because I'm in a different country doesn't mean I am willing to sacrifice the relationships that I have stateside. So I'm packing to remember what I experience, and packing to remember what I can't experience.


Here's my how-to. At least how I'm planning to do it.

1. Grab a journal. Thanks to some very thoughtful family and friends, I've got a couple to choose from. (A pen might come in handy too. Ha)

2. Use said journal. I've wanted to do this in the past at conferences and things I've been to, but never made the time. Now I don't remember nearly as much of those experiences as I wish I did. And this is much bigger than a week-long thing for high school students. Much longer too. So, you have to use it for it to do any good. Otherwise it's just taking up space in your bag.



3. Grab a notepad. A journal AND a notepad?!?! Seems redundant, no? It's really not. I got this idea from a friend of mine, and it sounds fantastic. The journal is for the end of the day, the recollections of what happened. The notepad, on the other hand, is for in-the-moment encounters in the midst of your travels. When you meet random people, have them jot down (in their own handwriting, not yours) their favorite quote or saying, and their name. It's just another way to immerse yourself in a culture that you won't be a part of forever--and it's a great way to remember the people you run into along the way.


4. Stay in touch. Find a way to communicate with people back home. I mean, I'm going to be gone for five months, with no real chance of going back for a visit. So I'm grabbing my computer, adding people on Skype (which is completely free if you call others on Skype, in case you didn't know.), and keeping my Facebook open. 

I really do want to maintain the relationships that I have here, so please don't hesitate to send me a message and tell me whatever you want. I'd love to hear from you!


I refuse to say goodbye. I'll see you again as soon as I can. --Philip

1 comment:

  1. I will miss you mucho!!! :'( But we will have to have regular skype dates to keep in touch and so we can talk about all our fun adventures!!!!

    ReplyDelete